The CHF 36.20 Grocery Battle

I've tried to go buy groeries twice now. There are two major chains in Zurich, Migros and Coop. Both stores have severals arms to them. They do retail, groceries, and take away food. So you'll see them in combination throughout the city. Two blocks from where we are housed temporarily is a grocery store only Coop. Their grocery stores have nothing super about them. They are easily half to a quarter size of a supermarket (think Cub or HyVee).
The first time I went, I didn't realize that you need to bag your product separately, then weigh it on a scale in the produce department that prints out a sticker to place on your bag stating the weight and cost of your item. All else with that first trip went fine, except for when the cashier had to shut down her line with 3 people behind me to show me this fine feature to their grocery store. And it was expensive, just as everyone has been telling me. Meat and coffee were my big ticket items that trip.
I just finished my second attempt at shopping, and all would have been fine if I wouldn't have tried to shop so darn late! Imagine, 6:50pm, what was I thinking?? I had read that grocery stores stayed open until 8pm, so when I strolled in and took my sweet time looking at cheese, I thought I was golden. Then, when I noticed it getting quiet in the store and the clerk started yapping at me in Swiss-German (I think), I scurried to the check out. She continued to berate me, I repeated "Ich verstehe nicht" several times (meaning I don't understand) gave her my francs, and got out of dodge. Walking out at 7:15.
Thought you all might like to see what my $36.20 francs bought. (That's roughly $29 US) Mini pizza, roll, package of toaster bread, 10 eggs, 2 yogurt, 1 yogurt with granola, pasta sauce, a little melon, just add water soup, six pack beer, block of yummy cheese, and some other Emmataler sliced cheese to try to make grilled cheeses with. MMMmmm, should be interesting. Couldn't find the cheddar to save my life.
SO - I've learned another lesson. I should be shopping during the day and should attempt to weigh everything not in a box. This can't be my only shopping mishap...I'll keep you posted.

3 Comments:
It is almost as intersting to see what you bought as how much you paid. How is the beer? Did you like the beer you have ordered in the bars? Is it served cold or room temp?
I thought you got quit a few items for your $29. I suppose the cheese and beer are the most expensive part. Later, Love, Mom
The beer has been fine. I haven't tried any exotic brands yet. They are serving it cold at restaurants.
The beer costs about the same as in the States. My nice cheese was expensive though.
All in all, it's not too bad on prices, but they are slightly higher, and some things are just down right pricey.
Don't know what you have going on all day that you can't be shopping for groceries. You need to keep your man fed you know. Just tell those swiss "no hable swiss" Later - Jack
Post a Comment
<< Home