Conquering Uetliberg


Today Matt and I decided to spend our afternoon by going to Zurich’s’ famous overlook, Uetliberg. Most everything is closed on Sundays, including grocery stores and many restaurants. It made for a great time to get out and see some nature.
Matt and I have purchased passes to use the public transportation in the downtown zone. However, in order to get to Uetliberg by tram, you must go outside of the downtown zone and we would have incurred an extra charge of 5.60 Swiss Francs per person. (About $4.50 US.) To avoid this charge and take the more adventurous route of exploring new territory, we decided to use a path that goes almostly directly up the mountainside. Now this path which technically was closed for construction, could be walked on a “at your own risk” basis, or so we deducted from the German signs. While the path didn’t seem too unsafe, it did make for an extreme work out on the calf muscles. After an hour of intense climbing, we reached the top and were rewarded with stunning views of the city and surrounding valley.Though we loved out hike, we’ll probably be taking the tram next time through!

2 Comments:
Sounds like you are starting to have some good adventures to make yourself start to feel at home in your new city. I still plan on visiting in October... Have you discovered any local customs yet?
Thanks for writing Ian! We're looking forward to your visit. Personally, I have had limited interactions with the Swiss thus far. They seem to be somewhat conservative in Zurich and don't exude the Midwest Friendly. I'll definitely post once I know more though. There are some interesting things about how the Swiss treat Sundays, I'll write more on that later!
Post a Comment
<< Home