11/11 at 11:11am and 11 seconds...





November 11th on Vimeo
The sound on this isn't so great...but you get the picture...
Today in the Hirschenplatz, just down the alley from where Matt & I live, the start of Fasching, or the European Mardi Gras/Karneval started. Every year on November 11th, what is considered the "Fifth Season" is kicked off by dozens of bands in whacky costumes. They all begin playing their own tunes at 11:11 am and 11 second, and the spectactors revel in the noise that surrounds them. After about 30 minutes, the bands begin to break up and begin to march through the city.
It's remarkable!

2 Comments:
Yesterday (10 Nov) as I entered work I was greeted by a lady passing out American flag stickers. I was unaware of the reason when I bumped into a co-worker who indicated that it was in observance of Nov 11 Veteran’s Day. He went on to mention that Veteran’s Day commemorates the end of WWII in the eleventh minute of the eleventh hour on the eleventh day of November. I told him I must have slept through that high school history class. Apparently the Europeans chose to commemorate the occasion with a Karneval.
We heard and saw them at our house too. Had no idea what it was about. thanks for filling me in!
Post a Comment
<< Home