Just another day at the grocery store.
Yesterday I took my usual walk down the street to the Coop grocery store to pick up some bread and chicken. I go to the grocery store at least 4 times a week nowadays. We have a small refrigerator and tiny freezer which prevents me from loading up like I did in the States. The bread is best fresh, meaning it is rock hard or moldy within a few days. We're also buying a lot more fruits and vegetables. My days of stocked frozen pizzas are over...temporarily anyway.
I am not the only one here in Zurich making these frequent trip either. It continues to amaze me how the customers in line usually only have a few things to buy. In fact, to even use a grocery cart, you have to insert a 2 CHF coin deposit to ensure you return it to the same spot, so most people just use the hand baskets.
Since everyone is shopping more frequently and the stores are much smaller then the Cub Foods and Hy-Vee's of the Midwest, it can get crazy during the rush hours. I try to avoid that time. Also, Saturdays are insane, because everyone is stocking up for Sunday since the only grocery stores that are open are at the train station or the airport. I often have to brave this mosh of customers to pick up a couple of things so Matt has something to eat for lunch on Mondays.
I have grown to love Coop though, once I learned that it's actually easier to go more frequently and what times are the best to go. (I made a few trips where I bought armfuls of bags, then realized I had to carry them back home again. Really cuts down how much soda you want to drink when you have to backpack it home every time.)
I wanted to share some pictures from my store - some things I love or some things that are just different. Hope you enjoy the pictures. I will get the joy of making another trip back this afternoon to see it all again in person...time for more bread.

The cheese counter - one of my favorite places.


Are those eggs...on the shelf?? Yes, they are. This thoroughly confused me a couple of days ago, because I needed eggs and they were no where to be found in the refrigerated section where I usually buy them. They were in the middle of switching things up. I was perplexed when they showed up here yesterday, on the shelf.
These tie-dyed eggs are actually hard boiled, all ready for your breakfast or salad. Also great for random Easter egg hunts throughout the year if you should so have the urge.
I am not the only one here in Zurich making these frequent trip either. It continues to amaze me how the customers in line usually only have a few things to buy. In fact, to even use a grocery cart, you have to insert a 2 CHF coin deposit to ensure you return it to the same spot, so most people just use the hand baskets.
Since everyone is shopping more frequently and the stores are much smaller then the Cub Foods and Hy-Vee's of the Midwest, it can get crazy during the rush hours. I try to avoid that time. Also, Saturdays are insane, because everyone is stocking up for Sunday since the only grocery stores that are open are at the train station or the airport. I often have to brave this mosh of customers to pick up a couple of things so Matt has something to eat for lunch on Mondays.
I have grown to love Coop though, once I learned that it's actually easier to go more frequently and what times are the best to go. (I made a few trips where I bought armfuls of bags, then realized I had to carry them back home again. Really cuts down how much soda you want to drink when you have to backpack it home every time.)
I wanted to share some pictures from my store - some things I love or some things that are just different. Hope you enjoy the pictures. I will get the joy of making another trip back this afternoon to see it all again in person...time for more bread.
The cheese counter - one of my favorite places.
The fresh baked breads - another favorite spot of mine. Matt has determined that sandwiches made with the fresh croissants (or gipfeli as called here) are his favorite. Better go early though, because the after work rush will wipe this section out!

A seasonal display you probably won't be seeing in the States! This setup is for Carneval, or the partying that takes place before Lent, similar to Mardi Gras. Here they are selling lots of confetti, noise makers, clown masks, silly string, and Carneval cakes.
A seasonal display you probably won't be seeing in the States! This setup is for Carneval, or the partying that takes place before Lent, similar to Mardi Gras. Here they are selling lots of confetti, noise makers, clown masks, silly string, and Carneval cakes.
Are those eggs...on the shelf?? Yes, they are. This thoroughly confused me a couple of days ago, because I needed eggs and they were no where to be found in the refrigerated section where I usually buy them. They were in the middle of switching things up. I was perplexed when they showed up here yesterday, on the shelf.
Apparently eggs can be kept for a week without refrigeration. They actually are better to cook or bake with at room temperature, as the the cold temps change their consistency. That's great to know, but I think I'm still sticking them in the fridge when I get home. Why else did the refrigerator company make such a convenient space for them in my door?
Also, with some other cheese, whip creme, chocolate milk, and to the right not pictured, other milk. The milk on the shelf is Uperisiert or Ultra Hoch Temperatur, sterilized to last up to 4 months on the shelf. The pasteurized milk is still kept in the fridge section though.
These tie-dyed eggs are actually hard boiled, all ready for your breakfast or salad. Also great for random Easter egg hunts throughout the year if you should so have the urge.

2 Comments:
So how many times did you try and change your appearance for the free beer line. I'm guessing by the end of that display they asked you not to come back to the store for the rest of the month.
--Jack
You have given yourself away Club foods are in Minnesota, HyVee is Iowa based but have stores in Minnesota, MO SD. GL is a Minnesota girl and has been in Zurich for about a month.
GLD
Post a Comment
<< Home