A (not so relaxing) Weekend in Davos
A picture of the Bergrestaurant Rinerhorn in the Alps of Davos. Matt's work dinner was held here and we ended with a sledge run down the mountain. While the path was lite, it was steep and fast with many opportunities to go off the side. Yikes! Thankfully we made it down in one piece.
Our first go at snowshoeing. We went with some friends from the company and a guide. It was great fun. There were a couple of places where the snow was not so compact, so if you fell down it was quite a struggle to get back up. I attempted to use my poles, but the snow was so deep the snow went all the way up to the handles!
The snowshoeing guide thought this might give us "strength" to finish the walk. I think the guide really meant "buzz" since the drink tasted just like Jagermeister. People were actually sipping this stuff, but I just had to throw it down the hatch. The Bire Bread tasted a bit like that fruit cake that gets passed around every Christmas that no one seems to want. What is it with the Swiss and liquor shots during their outdoor adventures? This was not the first time I've been offered booze at something like this...
Not pictured - me smashing myself against a mountain on Sunday. Matt and I decided to try snowboarding for the first time so we hired an instructor. After two hours of falling, we couldn't have been happier to turn our snowboards back into the rental facility. That being said, we did learn a lot in two hours, had fun, and were glad we tried it.
While we haven't completely ruled out trying again, we both enjoyed skiing better. I also will require some time to heal from the bruises and sore muscles I've caused before I'm willing to commit to what surely would be more of the same.
On the train ride back home, I realized that vacationing in the Alps for me usually means alot of physical activity, soreness, and coming home more tired then when I left!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home