Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Bellagio, Italy


The view from my parent's balcony at the Belvedere Hotel

A look at Bellagio from the ferry

The entrance to the Villa Carlotta in Tremezzo
Jim putting on the green at the Menaggio and Cadenabbia Golf Club

Me and my Pops at the Menaggio and Cadenabbia Golf Club

The last stop on the tour with my parents was Lake Como. We chose to stay in Bellagio at the amazing Hotel Belvedere. It was a great choice because it's situated on a opposite side of the peninsula where the ferries load, so it's much more peaceful. Though it feels far removed from the hustle and bustle of the town of Bellagio it's only a few minutes walk to city center.
Our first full day on the lake we visited the Villa Carlotta and gardens in Tremezzo. Of the several villas on the lake open to the public, Villa Carlotta has a reputation as being one of the best. On a previous trip with friends I had visited Villa Melzi and Villa Cipressi, and I would agree that Carlotta was much more impressive.
While I spent the remainder of the unusually warm day at the hotel pool, my folks checked out the shopping in Bellagio. I was impressed by the shopping here. I expected it to be loaded with the typical tourist wares. However there was a nice selection of Italian leathers including shoes, belts and purses. And let us not forget about the wines, oils, and aged balsamic vinegars! My mom picked up a bottle, I believe she bought the 12 year old balsamic in lieu of the pricier 25 year old bottle.
On my last day at Lake Como with my parents we went to the Menaggio and Cadenabbia Golf Club for a quick round. The golf club is only open to the public on weekdays so we were glad to get a chance to see this 100 year old charmer. The club house oozes character and the greens are spotted with tiny 1 to 2 bedroom homes that have been overgrown with rose bushes or ivy used now for housing maintenance equipment. My dad remarked this course is the most narrow he has ever played, so it proved to be a good challenge for him!
After golf, I dropped my parents off in the town of Como where they finished out the last day of their trip, and within 3 hours I was back in Zürich.
It was a whirlwind and unforgettable trip with my mom and dad. Within 14 days we drove through or stayed in 7 different countries, used 4 different currencies, and learned hello and thank you in 4 languages. What a journey!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jill- It looks so beautiful there and what a great experience to share with your parents. I bet your Dad was in heaven with the breathtaking views from the golf course! WOW! I would have liked to have tried all the wines and olive oils with great pleasure :) Take care and enjoy the rest of your time overseas! You sure seem to be taking full advantage of what it has to offer! I will look forward to meeting up with you in 2008 for a pint. Love, Melanie

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home