Friday, July 06, 2007

Bonnaroo

I don't have my pictures developed from my disposable camera yet, so I just had to go with some pulled from the internet. So thanks, whoever's pictures these are!
A look at one of the stages at the festival - you can either push your way up to the front with the crowd if you really love the band, or perhaps just kick back in the shade (if you can find some) and enjoy from a distance

The campsite stretches for miles outside the stage zone - notice, no water or port-a-potties are visible here. It could be a 5 to 10 minute walk just to find your closest station.

Inside the venue, this was one of two places (inside the trailer thing) you could get free water. The lines moved relatively quickly, but it could be 20 minutes sometimes just to fill up your water bottle. This was one of my largest complaints about the festival. It's understandable for sanitary reasons why you may have to limit your ability to provide free flowing water, but it's just too hot for people to have to wait that long to hydrate!

The second week of June I took off for a long weekend at Bonnaroo music festival in Manchester, Tennessee. I booked my ticket back in February where a mixture of homesickness and a great music line-up made me anxious to get back to the States. Matt and I drove down from Minneapolis for this festival in 2004 and had an amazing time. The same group of friends we camped with back then came again this year, so I had some company upon arriving.
The festival draws in 80,000+ people who spend Thursday through Sunday night camping out in the Tennessee heat and sun. The most grueling part of the elements was the dust that kicked up from such dry weather. By the end of the weekend there were a good many people wearing hanker chiefs over their nose and mouths to prevent breathing in so much dust. Also, quite challenging, was walking back and forth to my tent, which was almost a mile away. The distance under normal circumstances wouldn't present a problem, but out in the scorching sun it was brutal.
The shows start up about noon every day and last until the wee hours of the morning, usually around 3 am. There are at least 5 large stages going at several smaller tents with simultaneous music playing. It's a music lover's paradise. Some of the acts playing this year:
Ben Harper, Damien Rice, The Police, Ziggy Marley, The Roots, Franz Ferdinand, Cold War Kids, Regina Specktor, Xavier Rudd, Lily Allen, Manu Chao, and the list goes on. Not to mention, there was a comedy tent (which I didn't make it to this year because the lines were so long) with such acts as Lewis Black and Dave Attell.
It was incredible! Quick trip, but I'm glad I did it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home