Utrecht, Netherlands
After spending the night in Noordwijkerhout, we layed around the beach most of the next day. It was so relaxing. While the water was as cold as ice, we were nice and warm in the sun with a great coastal breeze. We wasted a good part of the day away when we decided it was time to move on.
As I mentioned before we were in the dune and bulb region. So after seeing the dunes it was time to see more of the bulbs on the way out. A few weeks back I went to the nearby Keukenhof Gardens in Lisse and saw a gorgeous display of flowers. This time, I got a closer look at the fields the farmers work for the commercial industry of tulips. It was stunning.
But we couldn't stay forever. The old Roman town of Utrecht was calling. It developed around the settlement of a fortress on the old river Rhine and later became an important religious seat for the Catholic Bishops. We walked along the old canal called Oudegracht and admired the construction. The houses were built so the basements opened up at water level to a pedestrian walk used for easy access to goods coming off boats from the Rhine River. Today, the wharf walkway is used for cafes and restaurants.
We stayed too long in Utrecht. We got going late and by the time we arrived at the campgrounds in the area, all of the offices were closed. So we had to bite the bullet and spend six times what we were paying in the campground to stay at the Mercure Hotel. Camping in Europe is definitely the way to go.

Another look at the bike route into the beach coming from Noordwijkerhout

The beach, again. Did I mention that I loved it? Just wish I got a ride on one of those horses!

The fields just outside of Noordwijk

Can you ever really capture something like this?

The Dom Church Tower dominates in Utrecht

A canal in Utrecht and one of the bridges crossing it

Utrecht

The Oudegracht or "old canal" in Utrecht
As I mentioned before we were in the dune and bulb region. So after seeing the dunes it was time to see more of the bulbs on the way out. A few weeks back I went to the nearby Keukenhof Gardens in Lisse and saw a gorgeous display of flowers. This time, I got a closer look at the fields the farmers work for the commercial industry of tulips. It was stunning.
But we couldn't stay forever. The old Roman town of Utrecht was calling. It developed around the settlement of a fortress on the old river Rhine and later became an important religious seat for the Catholic Bishops. We walked along the old canal called Oudegracht and admired the construction. The houses were built so the basements opened up at water level to a pedestrian walk used for easy access to goods coming off boats from the Rhine River. Today, the wharf walkway is used for cafes and restaurants.
We stayed too long in Utrecht. We got going late and by the time we arrived at the campgrounds in the area, all of the offices were closed. So we had to bite the bullet and spend six times what we were paying in the campground to stay at the Mercure Hotel. Camping in Europe is definitely the way to go.
Another look at the bike route into the beach coming from Noordwijkerhout
The beach, again. Did I mention that I loved it? Just wish I got a ride on one of those horses!
The fields just outside of Noordwijk
Can you ever really capture something like this?
The Dom Church Tower dominates in Utrecht
A canal in Utrecht and one of the bridges crossing it
Utrecht
The Oudegracht or "old canal" in Utrecht

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home